This spaghetti sauce recipe, from sales team member Allison Coleman, is set-it-and-forget-it comfort food at its finest. It uses pantry staples and simple, easy-to-find fresh ingredients. Thanks for the stellar recipe, Allison!
1/2lb – 1lb ground beef
1/2lb – 1lb hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 15oz can tomato sauce (I use no salt added)
1 small to medium zucchini, largely diced
1 small to medium summer squash, largely diced
1 8oz container of mushrooms, largely diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1–2 teaspoons dried basil
1–2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, and onion until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off the fat in a colander. Transfer the meat mixture to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients, and gently stir to blend. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash and enjoy!
- I use as many organic ingredients as are available in all – right down to the spices!
- You can add more tomato sauce when blending, if it looks like it could use more.
- For meat, my preference is to use about 3/4lb of each.
- Try out different vegetables of your choice!
- This sauce freezes wonderfully.